Thursday, November 8, 2012
Running backs usually lines up behind the quarterback in an offensive formation, they specialize in rushing the football to gain yards. They can also catch passes from the quarterback, and on rare occasions can receive the snap from the center or even pass the football. When a team has an offensive formation that has two backs in the backfield, the lead back is called the fullback the other is called the tailback. The fullback usually blocks for the tailback helping him to gain yardage, but the fullback is also eligible to run or catch the football. Running backs must be in great mental and physical condition. A running back should know what he is supposed to do on every play. He also has to be able to carry the football between 20 to 30 times a game, catch passes out of the backfield, and block defensive players.
KEYS TO BEING A GREAT BACK.
1. Must be able to run the football, catch passes and block defenders. Coaches love running backs that can due all three.
2. Running backs must have mental and physical toughness; they need these two things to deal with the punishment they must endure.
3. Running backs must know the playbook; he has to know where to line up in the backfield and what to do on each play. The Running back is a key element on offense.
4. Must be able to run the ball hard for the duration of the game. great running backs get stronger running with the football in the fourth quarter.
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
This file is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 2.0 License
The Quarterback is the player that runs and directs the offense. He usually gets the signal for the play from the coaching staff, and then he calls the play in the huddle. He usually lines up directly behind the center who hikes him the ball to start the play. The quarterback is involved in the majority of the offensive plays a team runs. He is either throwing it to a receiver, handing the ball off to a running back, or running it himself. In some situation a quarterback can call his own plays without getting a signal from the coach, one would be if a quarterback recognizes that the defense is running a certain play and then he calls an audible. Another rear situation is when the coaching staff allows the quarterback to call his own plays
1. Develop leadership skills, coaches loves for their starting quarterbacks to be leaders.
2. Get a lot of practice in the offseason. You need to work on arm strengh and footwork. Work on throwing football often and far, also work on various dropbacks espiciaaly the 5 step dropback.
3. Practice looking off safety to create space for the wide reciever, do not telegraph your throws.
4. Watch and learn what good quarterbacks do in certain situations, watch them on films or television.
5. Mentaly visualize yourself coming to the line and facing certain defenses, come up with what you will do against it.
6. A quarterback needs to study the playbook, he should know what every offensive player is doing when the ball is hiked.
Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Pittsburg Steelers 6
Dallas Cowboys 5
Sanfrancisco 49ers 5
New York Giants 4
GreenBay Packers 4
New England Patriots 3
Washington Redskins 3
Los Angeles Raiders 3
Miami Dolphins 2
Indianapolis Colts 2
Denver Broncos 2
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1
Baltimore Ravens 1
St Louis Rams 1
Kansas City Chiefs 1
New York Jets 1
Chicago Bears 1
New Orlean Saints 1
Thursday, February 2, 2012
The Super Bowl is the annual championship game of the National Football League. The game is between the champions of the American Football Conference(AFC) and the National Football Conference(NFC). The Super Bowl is one of the most popular and anticipated sporting events in the United States. The game attracts football fans all over the country and is televised all over the world.
NOTABLE SUPER BOWLS
1. XLII: New York Giants upsetting the previous unbeaten New England Patriots 17 -14.
2. XLI: First Two African American head coaches in a super bowl, Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith. Indianapolis Colts defeated the Chicago Bears 29 - 17 making Tony Dungy the first African American head coach to win a super bowl.
3. XXXII: Denver Broncos upsetting the Greenbay Packers 31 - 24 giving John Elway his first super bowl.
4.XXII: Doug Williams becomes first African American Quarterback to win super bowl by leading the Washington Redskins to victory over the Denver Broncos 42 - 10.
5.XII: This super bowl had Two MVP winners in the Dallas Cowboys 27 - 10 victory over the Denver Broncos. The two were defensive tackle Randy White and defensive end Harvey Martin of the Dallas Cowboys.
6.VII: Miami Dolphins completed their undefeated season by beating the Washington Redskins 14 - 7. The Dolphins went 17 - 0 and is still the only team to do this in NFL history.
7.III: New york Jets defeated the Baltimore Colts 16 - 7 giving credibility to the AFL. This is als the game that Joe Namath guaranteed victory.
8. I: First world championship game between the AFL and the NFL, Greenbay defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 35 - 10.