Monday, September 15, 2008
The tight end is a player on the offensive unit that lines up between the wide receiver and the offensive tackle. Usually there is only one tight end on the playing field at a time, and he could be lined up on either side of the offensive line. The tight ends main responsibilites are to block like and offensive linemen, and to be a sure handed receiver. When the play requires him to run a pass pattern, he must be able to do it and focus on catching the football. When the play requires him to block, he must do it as if the team has an extra offensive lineman on the field. It is critical for a tight end to be good at both blocking and receiving, if he is not then he should find another position. A player must be able to combine size, brute strengh, and grace to be good at this position.
CHARACTERISTICS OF A GOOD TIGHT END
1. Must have the size to play tight end. Tight ends are usually between 6 feet 2 to 6 feet 5 inches tall, and are between 250 t0 300 pounds.
2. Must be able to block, a good tight end needs to be able to block like an extra offensive linemen. He is expected to block defensive linemen, linbackers,and defensive backs.
3. Must know every running play in the playbook. He must know every aspect of his team's running game. He must know who to block on each play.
4. Must know every passing play in the playbook. He must know when to stay in and pass block, and when to run his pass patterns.
5. Must be able to run routes effectively. Tight ends are not usually the fastest guys on the team, so running precise pass patterns is very important.
6. Must have good hands, a good tight end should be able to a hit and still hold onto the football.
7. Must be mentaly tough, he has to take on a duel role as an offensive linemen and receiver.
TIGHT END TIPS
1. All of the tips that applied to the wide receiver, also applies to the tight end.
2. Practice blocking drills with the offensive linemen. When called to block, tight ends should be able to block just like an offensive linemen.
3. Practice running routes and catching the football with the wide receivers. Tight ends are not expected to be as fast as wide receivers, but they are expected to run precise patterns, and to catch the football like a wide receiver.
QUESTIONS FOR THE WEEK
1. Who is the NFL best tight end of all time?
2. Who is the best tight end in the NFL for the 2008 season?
3. How many games will the Patriots win for the 2008 season?
4. Should NCAA Div 1A football start a playoff to crown a champion?
1. Jerry Rice
2. Randy Moss
3. 75% said no
4. USC Trojans
To answer questions respond to comments section or email answers to firstname.lastname@example.org.