Friday, September 5, 2008
A wide receiver is a player on an offensive unit in football, whom positions himself at the end of the offensive line. There are usually two of them on a playing field at the same time on opposite ends of the line. The wide receivers main function is to run pass patterns and catch passes thrown to them from the quarterback. On some rare occasions a team will try a trick play where the receiver can throw the ball, take a hand off from the QB, or catch a pass from a RB. Wide receivers are usually the most elusive and fastest players on the team, but there is room for players at the position who are not blessed with speed and quickness. Players not blessed with tremendous speed, but are willing to work hard on running proper pass patterns and catching the football, can still be productive wide receivers. One of the best wide receivers to play in the NFL was Jim Zorn and he did not have tremendous speed.
CHARACTERISTICS FOR A GOOD WIDE RECEIVER
1. Run at top speed throughout your pass pattern.
2. Run precise pass patterns.
3. Must be in good condition, must be able to run routes play after play.
4. Must be able to concentrate, he must concentrate on his routes, the other teams defense, and catching the football.
5. Must block defenders, your block can be the one that breaks another offensive player free.
6. Must be prepared to take a hit after catch, as a wide receiver your going to get hit.
WIDE RECEIVER TIPS
1. Catch the football with your hands not your body.
2. Look the ball in, use your eyes and focus on the football all the way into your hands.
3. Always catch the football at its highest point.
4. Control the football before trying to run with it. Many wide receivers fumble the football because they try to make a move before they secure the football.
5. Know exactly what routs you are to run.
QUESTIONS FOR THE WEEK
1. Who is the best wide receiver of all time?
2. Who do you think is the best wide receiver in the NFL for 2008?
3. Can the New York Giants repeat as superbowl champions.
4. Who will be the national champion in the NCAA division 1A football for 2008?
ANSWER THE QUESTIONS
1. Jim Brown.
2. Adrian Petersen
3. New England Patriots
4. Darren Mcfadden
TO answer questions respond to comments section or email answers to firstname.lastname@example.org.